Energy concept with dynamic building simulation for the new Vinzentinum RiedNew Construction & Renovation Consulting Smart Cities & Energy Concepts
The existing training centre for health professions in Upper Austria at the hospital of the Barmherzige Schwestern Ried (Vinzentinum Ried) is to be expanded. For this purpose, the existing administrative wing will be deconstructed and a new building wing with about 6,500 m² usable floor space will be built in timber construction.
BHS Ried as the builder is faced with the question of which measures and energy standards are optimal for the building, which renewable energy systems are suitable and which comfort criteria are appropriate, and to what investment and follow-up costs these potential decisions will lead. Within the scope of a feasibility study, exactly these questions were examined and an integrated energy concept for the further implementation was developed. Thus, in the very early project phase of the building, BHS Ried is able to have certainty about the future energy consumption, the comfort of use and the costs for construction and operation.
The aim of BHS Ried is to construct an energy-efficient building in timber construction based on proven technologies, which is equipped on a low-tech basis, the energy supply is provided by regenerative energy sources and a high level of summertime comfort is given.
The project comprised the following work contents:
- Development of different variants for the entire heating and cooling supply of the building
- Dynamic building simulation of reference rooms with TRNSYS regarding thermal comfort, energy demand and max. heating or cooling capacity
- Determination of the essential elements of the energy concept including dimensioning and presentation in a principle diagram
- Description of the operating mode of the concept
- Determination of the investment and follow-up costs of the energy-relevant elements of the building services system according to ÖNORM B 1801-1 and -2
- Comparison of the life cycle costs of the scenarios
- Recommendations and performance criteria of the derived energy concept for further implementation
Based on the results, the client was put in a position to make the far-reaching decision to define the energy concept for the building.