Energy Efficiency for Buildings in Ukrainian MunicipalitiesPolicy Advice & Energy Economics International Projects & Technical Assistance
The project is part of the program of the German International Cooperation (GIZ) to improve the legal and financial framework conditions for energy efficiency in buildings.
The program supports the Ukrainian Ministry of Construction and its subordinated structures together with the construction sector in selected municipalities to reduce the energy losses in the building sector in the municipalities (including residential buildings). The project supported the development of "Municipal Energy Efficiency Plans" (MEEP) in four communities and the start of its implementation. Special focuses was set on energy saving potentials in construction and housing sector. The results provide input to develop an energy strategy for the whole Ukrainian construction and building sector:
- In a participatory process the selected communities were supported to develop their Municipal Energy Efficiency Plans which deliver a structured way to coherently define sets of energy efficiency measures and instruments over a longer period.
- Technical assistance was provided concerning municipal energy legislation, municipal energy management, strategic planning of renovation measures in buildings, energy audits, establishment of communal energy monitoring systems, financing and incentive models to promote EE.
- Organisational support in developing "Municipal Energy Management" within the city administration and training of personnel".
- The development of pilot projects and information campaigns was supported.
- The transfer of knowledge and the set-up of networks between communities is fostered through a series of workshops, a symposium of up to 100 participants and a study tour to Germany to visit municipalities.
e7 provided the team leader, who was responsible for the technical coordination of the project. The core international expert was in contact with municipality decision makers and supported the municipalities in developing municipal energy efficiency plans for building (municipal and residential buildings).